Monday, 22 September 2014

Of Unknown Enemies

Evenin'!

X-COM: Enemy Unknown. I played it. It's not bad - I would even go so far as to say it's a good game. Nowhere near great though.
Why, you could be asking your screen right now - and I shall provide the answer.

Enemy Unknown is a re-imagining of the first game in the franchise, named X-COM: UFO Defense, released back in 1994. The basic mechanics are pretty similar to the original, with exceptions for the most frustrating and/or random events the game threw in your face. It improved, compared with the original, almost all aspects of the game (unless you count being unbalanced, massively unfair and bonebreakingly hard as an aspect). BUT! One thing hasn't improved.
Performance.
Now, my Laptop isn't exactly bursting of power, but it's decent enough to play most games at highest resolution(1920x1080), with the really intense options lowered or disabled (looking at you, AA) to reach somewhat stable 60 FPS. Enemy Unknown isn't the prettiest of games - certainly no Crisis. But it still runs like the proverbial ass, with 30 Frames AT MOST, at 1280x720, without most fancy graphics-stuff disabled. There is absolutely _no_ reason for it to be this hungry. I'd compare it, in terms of graphical fidelity, to Prey, the Shooter from 2007 (Good game by the way. Play it if you haven't.). I still soldiered through it, and got a very rewarding experience. Tough, punishes mistakes, but fair at it's core, with rare occurrences of leveldesign-BS. I had tons of fun while playing it! The ending wasn't very good, but I didn't really expect them to have great writing.
I did try to play the expansion as well (X-COM: Enemy Within).
And got, with the same settings I used for Enemy Unknown, 22 Frames.
What the flux compensator.
Uninstalled it after that, and resumed playing League of Legends.
~160 Frames.

At least someone knows how to optimize their engine. :D

Farewell, for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment