Friday, 18 July 2014

Of Pens and Papers: Star Wars

...or, to call it by its full name:
"The Star Wars Roleplaying Game, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded"

Facts: d6-based ruleset, quite old. Covers just about anything you'd want to have in terms of skills/Abilities for a character in the Star Wars-Universe. All references to lore are post-Deathstar-destruction (the Rulebook was published 1987), we played just after the Mandalorian Wars, just before the Sith Empire took the stage. For that, we are using material straight from the Interwebs - a considerable amount, specifically tailored to the underlaying D6 System(that is the official name of the underlying System). Most of it is Old-Republic-Era, since people care a lot more about that, apparently. Used Sites: d6holocron.com, some others I forgot.

Onto the actual gaming session: Our DM is a literal newb(read: noob), both in the sense of PnP and Star Wars and just sends the people around, doing random fetchquests with no tie-ins to anything that would be remotely relevant. He has a lot to learn; but so did I, nobody's born a genius. I am playing a Sith Apprentice, on the lookout to kill the one who has killed her master. The other partymembers are a reprogrammed HK-Droid, a gray Jedi who is also a Gand (which are Insect-Aliens) and a Wookiee who is always accompanied by an Ewok who translates for the Wookiee.
Which is WEIRD, but I guess you(I? We?) don't have to take everything dead-serious; the Ewok doesn't really break immersion for me, so I see no reason to complain. Others are less tolerant, but still accept it without flipping the (virtual) table.

Point of Interest: This was the first time I played Pen&Paper via the Internet, using Skype and https://app.roll20.net/. Roll20 does, in my opinion, a pretty good job of giving everyone the tools he or she needs for a successful, if slightly awkward, tabletop-session. All important dice-rolls are supported (even Fate); so far, I have not found anything I could really complain about. It even has Audio-playback for some Background-music.

Sidenote: Apparently, the Audience for Pen&Paper was less serious back then compared to what I am used to. The Star Wars-Rulebook gives a bunch of example characters - one of them is a kid. Qoute:
Connection With Characters: Choose another player character as your older sibling/adopted parent/idol/whatever. You don't have to get the other player's permission. In fact, if he or she is annoyed, that's entirely appropriate.
 I don't even want to imagine the shitstorms I would have to endure, should I ever decide to just play a kid and follow one of my friends' characters around while not even asking for their permission.

Will play a Session of Warcraft-Pen&Paper on Saturday with my RL-Friends. A rather curious choice, as far as I am concerned, but I am willing to see if it has enough substance to support a campaign.

Byesies everyone! *waves*

No comments:

Post a Comment