Greetings, Earth-dwellers.
Now, this post will not be funny, at least not on intention. I will attempt to convey my mind to you, and what I am thinking right now - yes, that's scary, but read along anyway, it won't hurt you.
Promise.
Today, I had the first serious talk with my superior(I'm rather new there). Since I'm in press and public relations, we/I have to look out for the public Image of the Company, amongst other things. Now, my concept of PR is really similar to the one of Riot Games: friendly, cheery, "We care about every single one of you", "let's work together to create something amazing" and so on. Pure, concentrated positivity, without any "hey, you see those guys over there? They're SHIT, because of x!"
Now, you may, possibly, already see where I am going with this. The "Oh my, that guy over there sure fucked up!"-approach is commonly used in politics all over the world, especially in the EU at the moment(goddamn elections). And, well, my chief-of-division has the same way of dealing with other organisations. Especially if they're not our partners/"friends". Now, in aforementioned talk, he told me who he wants to bash, and why. I certainly see WHY he wants to do it - We want to get a bigger, better Image, while diminishing the public Image of our "opponents".
I'm just not really happy with it, at all. I don't want to act like this. I want to show the public that we are awesome because we care for them, not because "everyone else is shit."
Some will now say "well that's how the world works" and shrug. Yes, that's true - in part. It is true as long as people accept, or even support it. But it doesn't have to be this way, as shown by Riot. You don't HAVE to use negative reinforcement. Yes, it's easy. Yes, it's effective. But is it honourable? Hell no. It's cowardly and hateful.
Now, my superior probably thinks "Excellent, this guy can write, and I can mold him just how I want him to be!". Instead, I will try to mold him, or at least free myself of having to do the "dirty work". Yes, this could easily get me fired somewhere down the line. And I'm OK with it. I'd rather look for a new job than act against everything I believe in.
*sigh*
We'll see how it goes.
Alright, that's all for now. Next post is more on the happy side, hopefully.
Cheers.
(and a shoutout to Nerdfighteria, by the way. The world doesn't HAVE to suck.)
No comments:
Post a Comment